Draining Away Unneeded, Unwanted, and Just Plain "Bad Stuff" from Your Being
1. Center and ground yourself (do this lying down on your bed if you can).
2. While lying down on your bed (face up, arms at sides with palms up, legs slightly apart), imagine valves on the top of your head, in the centers of your palms, and on the centers of the soles of your feet.
3. Mentally open all five valves and tell yourself that everything that has attached itself to you from outside sources or from within yourself that is unneeded, unwanted, or just plain bad for you will flow from the top of your head down through your body and out through your palms and feet over the next three minutes. Know that all of this unpleasant stuff will flow back to the source of everything to be purified and recycled.
4. Mentally close the valves on your palms and feet and open yourself up to the power of whatever God(s) you believe in (or simply universal energy if you prefer) for another three minutes so that you fill yourself up with clean, clear, and relaxing energy of the very best kind.
5. Mentally close the valve at the top of your head and enjoy.
Note: This same exercise can be done while standing in the shower and timed so that the shower washes out everything that needs to go; then as you air-dry for three minutes, you can draw in everything that is beneficial to you. (An overhead heat lamp would make a nice added touch to this process.)
The final basic exercise which I will present has been described by many authors, including Israel Regardie and Alan Richardson. It is known as the Middle Pillar Exercise. This exercise is designed to help you absorb and make use of vitality from the world around you. Humans are made up of several interpenetrating bodies, most of which are invisible to our five physical senses. Just as your physical body has organs designed to help you make use of the physical food you eat, your psychic body has organs designed to take in spiritual power and then to distribute and circulate this power where it can be used to your best advantage. When you gain control over this process through exercising it consciously, you can direct this power to bring about beneficial changes in your life and, potentially, the lives of others as well.
The Middle Pillar Exercise
1. Center and ground yourself in the sitting position.
2. Imagine a sphere of brilliant white light above the crown of your head. This sphere should be viewed as being active and abundantly alive with energy; it is your Spirit Center and the key to your true self. Vibrate the words 7 Am like a mantra, while maintaining this visualization.
3. After allowing your mind to rest here for five minutes, imagine that your Spirit Center sends out a shaft of white light down through your skull and brain, continuing until it stops at your throat and expands to form another sphere of brilliant white light. This is your Air Center. It is related to the powers associated with the planet Saturn. Keep this in mind as you focus your attention on this vital sphere.
4. After allowing your mind to rest here for five minutes, imagine that your Air Center sends out a shaft of white light down through your body until it reaches your solar plexus and expands into a sphere of brilliant white light. This is your Fire Center. It is related to the powers associated with the Sun. Experience its energy as you focus your attention on this active sphere.
5. After allowing your mind to rest here for five minutes, imagine that your Fire Center sends out a shaft of white light down through your body until it comes to your genital region, where it expands to form another sphere of brilliant white light. This is your Water Center. It is related to the powers associated with the Moon. Feel this energy as you focus your attention on this sphere.
6. After allowing your mind to rest here for five minutes, imagine that your Water Center sends out a shaft of white light down through your body until it reaches your feet, where it expands to form a final sphere of brilliant white light. This is your Earth Center. It is quite naturally related to the powers associated with the Earth and things such as food, clothing, and shelter. Dwell on this as you focus your attention on this sphere of solidity. Spend five minutes doing this.
7. Focus your attention on your Spirit Center and imagine it vigorously absorbing spiritual energy from the atmosphere around you. Exhale and visualize this energy flowing down the left side of your body. Inhale and visualize this same energy flowing under your feet and up the right side of your body to return to your Spirit Center. Notice that this energy is inside all of your bodies, both visible and invisible. Keep this visualization going until the energy has completed at least six full circuits.
8. Imagine that this energy flows from your Spirit Center down the front of your body to your feet as you exhale, and then flows under your feet and up the back of your body to return to your Spirit Center as you inhale. Continue this visualization until at least six full circuits have been completed.
9. Send your attention down to your Earth Center. This must be viewed as a vessel containing all power. Imagine that your Spirit Center is drawing this power up to it as you inhale in such a way that it fountains up out of your Spirit Center, and then, as you exhale, it falls down all around your body until it collects again in the vessel that your Earth Center has become. Visualize at least six of these "fountaining" circulations of power.
The total visual effect of this whole exercise will be what Don Juan of Carlos Castaneda's famous books would have called a scintillating, luminous egg of energy extending from the center of your being out to about an arm's length from the limits of your physical body. I have presented The Middle Pillar Exercise in a simplified form, however this will not detract from its usefulness in helping you pay attention to your psycho/spiritual organs and in strengthening your entire being. This exercise should be practiced daily. Remember: the stronger you are on all levels, the stronger will be your psychic shield when you need it!
It often helps to develop a daily routine when you are learning new skills. I would suggest that you begin each day with the Middle Pillar Exercise and end each day with the Draining Exercise. During the course of each day, you should find time to work on the other exercises presented in the first two chapters of this book. Keep a notebook to record the results of your efforts.